Friday, September 14, 2012

Women's Mountain Bike Clinic: Secret Training Files

I'm struggling with my fear of mountain biking. My biggest fear right now is going downhill.

I really do want to get over this bike phobia.

And I have tried.

  • I did a Kayuh Lasak 15 mile mountain bike race with over 1000 others in Malaysia - I walked the bike for about 70% of it. 
  • I did a solo mtb ride on a beginner's trail in FRIM. I fell.
  • I did a mtb race at Yellow Creek SP. I walked 50% of it. And DNFed

I would have signed up for the Zero2Hero mtb clinic run by Darcy Steinhardt. But I takut (scared)...

Sue Teoh on the Zero 2 Hero mountain bike clinic conducted by Darcy Steinhardt. That looks scary.
Anyway, while spectating a mountain bike race at Roaring Run last week, I found out about a women's only mountain bike group that rides together: "Dirty BELLAS - W. PA Women Mtn Bikers" .

In their About Page on FB: 'This group is created to help unite the girls in the W.PA/Pittsburgh area that want to tget out and mountain bike, learn the trails, improve on skills and advance in the sport with peers and without the intimidation that boys tend to bring with them.'

Jamie and I carpooled to North Side in Allison Park. My first time there. Nice dog park.

We followed the girls on a mostly rideable trail. I managed to stay on my bike for most of it.

Jamie took a hard fall. Hats off to Jamie for:

  • Riding a single speed.
  • Riding a single speed geared for a 37 year old hardcore male mountain biker 
  • Riding a single speed geared for a 37 year old hardcore male mountain biker, and in clipless pedals.
Oh, I should mention that this was only her third time on a mountain bike.

Congrats Jamie, you win the Crazy Chick of the day Award! :)

I'm hopeful I'll get better. I had a great time with the girls and I'm looking forward to the next one!!


2 comments:

  1. I have actually read a lot of your blog posts in the last hour. I really enjoy what you are doing here. (And as a writer of fantasy novels, I'm enjoying looking at different aspects of that when you go through them in blog post). And truly, I love world-culture building

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first i would like to thanks for sharing this post. This is awesome place for training in hard tail mountain bike. Malaysia is perfect place for mountain biking, road biking & also for cycling competition.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you! Please do leave a comment!